111 Brewster Street
P: (401) 729-2635
Patients referred to the Pulmonary and Sleep Center are first seen in our outpatient office for consultation. Follow-up may include further testing or imaging related to your condition. Sick patients can see a physician the same day or the next morning, and patients with suspected lung cancer are seen within 48 hours. All test results are interpreted and evaluated by our experts, who then send recommendations for treatment to referring physicians.
We see patients with many lung and sleep disorders, including:
- Chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD) – chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
- Lung cancer.
- Pulmonary fibrosis.
- Pulmonary hypertension/pulmonary vascular disease.
- Sleep disorders (sleep apnea, insomnia, narcolepsy, unexplained sleepiness).
- Unexplained shortness of breath.
Chest Wall Clinic
Directed by a world-renowned expert in chest wall physiology, this is the only site in the region offering bedside ultrasound evaluation of diaphragm dysfunction. Our specialists see a wide range of patients to evaluate diaphragm disease and neuromuscular weakness.
Pulmonary Function Testing
We use specific tests to help diagnose and manage breathing problems and/or lung disease. Ours is the only lab in the state to offer advanced testing for patients with symptoms of asthma who test negative on initial testing for the disease. Our tests include:
- Pulmonary function testing – this includes spirometry (breathing into a mouthpiece attached to a recording device to measure such values as the amount of air you can exhale with force after inhaling deeply, the amount of air you can hold in your lungs, and how quickly you can exhale), lung volume testing, and tests of your lung diffusion capacity, or how well oxygen passes from the lungs to the bloodstream.
- Arterial blood gases – though a blood test, we measure the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood to check how well the lungs move oxygen into the blood and remove carbon dioxide.
- Pulse oximetry – using a small sensor attached to a finger, we check how much oxygen is in the blood; we can also measure this remotely.
- Six-minute walking test – we test your breathing while you walk with pulse oximetry to assess your oxygen needs.
Memorial Hospital's hospital-based sleep lab can diagnose and treat a variety of sleep disorders including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea.
- Restless legs syndrome, insomnia, night tremors.
- In-center studies include baseline evaluations, CPAP and BiPAP titrations and multiple sleep latency testing (MSLT).
- Following a night’s sleep at home, they return the equipment to the hospital where results are electronically downloaded to computers accessible to our sleep physicians.