The 8,500-square-foot Center for Rehabilitation is an 18-bed acute level rehabilitation inpatient unit designed for patients who are recovering from a recent illness, stroke, injury or disorder that has affected their functional ability.
The Best Care
You can be confident that you are receiving the very best care. The Center for Rehabilitation is accredited by two national accrediting agencies - The Joint Commission
, the leading accrediting agency for healthcare organizations, and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
, the premier agency for rehabilitation sites.
The Best Choice
It is important to know what distinguishes one center from another when choosing a facility. Memorial’s Center for Rehabilitation is an Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF). This sets us apart from Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF) because:
- Your care will be closely supervised by a physician with specialized experience in rehabilitation;
- You will receive 24-hour care by specialized rehabilitation nurses, producing a higher level of care;
- Coordination of your care will be strengthened by team conferences held at least weekly to assess your progress and goals; and
- Your goals for self-care and independence will be the focus of your treatment plan.
Key factors that differentiate Memorial from other rehabilitation facilities in the state include the following:
- Memorial’s rehabilitation center has a special designation as a CARF Stroke Specialty Unit. It is the highest level that can be awarded and demonstrates that the program and services are of the highest quality, measurable and accountable.
- In addition, the Stroke Center at Memorial Hospital is one of a select group nationally recognized as Primary Stroke Centers. This signifies that our stroke services have critical elements to improve stroke patient outcomes.
- The hospital’s more than forty-year affiliation with The Alpert Medical School of Brown University demonstrates a commitment to educating future specialists in rehabilitative and restorative care.
A Tradition of Excellence
With more than three decades of experience in rehabilitation medicine, Memorial Hospital stands alone as one of the most well-established rehabilitation centers in the region. Our history of dedicated service has set us apart as pioneers in the field. Moreover, you can be assured that our staff continues to expand services and improve therapies to expedite your recovery.
The true measure of success is results. To measure progress, we participate in a nationwide standardized system that compares our patients’ functional measures with those of patients from rehabilitation facilities throughout the United States. In 2010, the performance of patients at Memorial’s Center exceeds expectations in key functional areas such as mobility, learning and understanding and activities of daily living. Patients show a higher gain than the national average.
In addition, inpatient rehabilitation surveys show consistently high staff ratings in multiple areas including addressing needs and managing pain in a timely manner and providing education concerning diagnosis, medication and therapy. The staff ranks high as being considerate and courteous.
Our bright, spacious unit, located on the first floor of the hospital’s Richardson Building, can accommodate 18 patients in eight private and five semi-private rooms. Each room has a private bathroom and shower and cable TV.
Size makes a difference – and bigger is not better when it comes to care. The intimate size of our unit provides a warm and homelike setting for personalized care.